24 October 2010

Nullifying Tradition

I was privileged to hear the lead sherpa at Pinnacle share from his heart and from Matthew 15 and Isaiah 59 this morning. (You should serious click on those last two links. The NET Bible is amazing.) I came away wanting to tear down traditions.

I'm not talking about what generally comes to mind in this arena. This isn't simply about old versus new, change just for the sake of change, or even about trying to "stay relevant." Our traditions come in many forms and the traditions we need to rid ourselves of are any that we have constructed that push people away and separate us from fully experiencing God together.

I've grown up in Christian community, in one form or another, all of my life. And I'm still anxious and uncomfortable any time I visit a new church for the first time. I can't imagine what it's like for an "outsider." Someone who is hurting, lonely, marginalized, and searching.

Church should be a safe place! Dammit, it should be the safest place! My prayer is that we would do everything we can to tear down any socio-economic, ethnic, racial, cultural, spatial, or religious barriers that we've erected that are keeping us from inhabiting the safest place for people to come just as they are.

Vicit agnus noster, eum sequamur.

K, love you, bye.

[mccracken]

No comments: