26 September 2010

Say "No!" To Commitment!


“You have also heard that our ancestors were told, ‘You must not break your vows; you must carry out the vows you make to the Lord.’ But I say, do not make any vows! Do not say, ‘By heaven!’ because heaven is God’s throne. And do not say, ‘By the earth!’ because the earth is his footstool. And do not say, ‘By Jerusalem!’ for Jerusalem is the city of the great King. Do not even say, ‘By my head!’ for you can’t turn one hair white or black. Just say a simple, ‘Yes, I will,’ or ‘No, I won’t.’ Anything beyond this is from the evil one. -- Matt 5.33-37

I saw this emblazoned on a billboard advertisement today: "Say 'No!' To Commitment!" It was in reference to mobile phone contracts. As soon as I saw it, I laughed and shook my head. I don't really have any strong feelings about mobile phone contracts. I was shaking my head because it seemed to speak to much more.

Politicians, corporations, the media, churches, family members, friends, and me. We all make promises. And we all fall short of them. (Some more often than others.) And it can be really frustrating. It's easy to become bitter and cynical, to not trust anyone or expect anything from them. But I don't want to be that way. Do you? Let's do what we can to instill trust in those we know. Let's be known for honesty and integrity.

I've made more than a few selfish, foolish choices. I've hurt people, both knowingly and through ignorance. And I hate that. It makes me sick to my stomach. I'm sorry.

K, love you, bye.

[mccracken]

No comments: