07 March 2010

Dual Purpose Nostalgia


I borrowed a bicycle yesterday and rode it around town for half an hour. It was excruciating. And a helluva lot of fun. I think it was the first time I'd been on a bike in close to a decade, I'm embarrassed to say.

When I was a kid, I went everywhere on my bike. I remember riding it to and from elementary school, riding all over the neighborhood, down to Medi-Park, all over "the fields" (we lived on the western edge of town back then), and basically as far as my parents would let me. Though we did have a few crises, which went very much like what Brian Regan hilariously describes here. ;-)

Riding bikes as a kid was never about exercise, though I'm sure that element was present. It just never crossed my mind at the time. Now, my primary reason to get on a bike was exercise, until I started riding around. Then I found it to be blissful nostalgia. Great memories of times when the world was a much smaller, simpler place.

[mccracken]

1 comment:

TJ Lawson said...

I love riding. There is something faintly discouraging about being reminded you are so out of shape though. I always tell myself, "You could run a couple of miles if you need to." But should i trying I just about die.